This song is about Poppy's addiction to money and materialistic things. Poppy opens up about her past in this song, explaining that she was never seen like the other girls her age. Since then, she has grown an obsession with money. The song's theme reflects on how one can become obsessed with money, and how it can do nearly everything. The chorus references the popular saying "money can't buy happiness", though Poppy questions it by asking "then why is it so fabulous?". Poppy also mentions how people around her during her life made her think that it was wrong to love money.
The music video for "Money" was published on July 29th, 2016, following the release of Bubblebath EP months earlier, and almost an entire year after the Lowlife music video. The music video, uploaded onto her official VEVO channel, is visually similar to videos that are released on her regular channel. In the video, Poppy appears against a white backdrop lip syncing the song in different shots. Most shots show Poppy in a different outfit receiving money handed to her, dancing, or holding money and fanning herself with it. Multiple Japanese-style computer animations also appear throughout the video, creating a bubbly pink aesthetic.
In 2018, the official music video was made private and is currently unavailable to watch.
Money was well-received by audiences, with over 14 million views on the music video as well as 229 thousand likes. A version of the song was created as downloadable content for the life simulation video game The Sims 4, which features Poppy singing the song in a gibberish language called "Simlish". Money also was featured in the drama-horror series Scream on Season 2, Episode 1: "I Know What You Did Last Summer". Along with Altar, Tyler Peterson of UQMUSIC described Money as a "retro-banger".
- Money is featured as the encore song for the Poppy.Computer Tour.
- This makes it the only Bubblebath EP song performed in the Poppy.Computer Tour.
- The first version of Money contains an electric guitar solo before the bridge. Its instrumental is also used for a dance break in the Poppy.Computer Tour. The length of this extended instrumental is 3:30.
- Money is the first of two Poppy songs to be featured on the H&M in-store playlist, the other being Interweb.
- The release of the music video for Money in 2016 marks the second Poppy music video.
- The song's lyrics are referenced in Poppy's video "Shirt".