The song is about being self-confident, with lyrics such as "I'm feelin' like a powerful girl" and "together we can take on the world". The choruses focuses on saying hello to a new day and being with a best friend. In the music video, it is shown that Poppy is her own best friend, being a metaphor for loving herself.
In an interview with Genius, Poppy stated, "I wrote this song about Japan and about saying hello to your very best friend". Regarding the lyric "are you ready to get lost?", Poppy said that she likes to get lost in Japan, particularly in Akihabara.
"Moshi Moshi" is to date the most popular song from "Poppy.Computer". It was well-received with fans and listeners, most likely because it has a positive message about self-confidence and loving yourself. The song's references and metaphors to Japanese culture were also positively received.
- In Japanese, "moshi moshi" is a greeting used when answering a phone call. "Hajime konnichiwa" translates to "Hello, nice to meet you" in English and literally translates to "first hello", used when meeting someone for the first time.
- "Moshi moshi" in Japanese is written as "もしもし".
- This is the first Poppy song to feature bilingual lyrics, with the chorus incorporating both English and Japanese. This would be followed by "Hard Feelings", which incorporates both English and French lyrics.
- The song may also be a reference to Poppy's video "Japan".
- An official teaser was posted on November 6th, 2017.
- The official music video was released on November 10th, 2017. However, the initial upload of the video was removed after an hour because it was uploaded in Virtual Reality mode. The official 1080p video was then uploaded later that day.
- Blame Candy guitarist Chris Greatti, who co-wrote the song with Poppy, also performed the guitar solo in the song. He released a video on the Blame Candy YouTube channel demonstrating the solo.
- In the description for this video, it is revealed that the solo was inspired by Frank Zappa.
- The "monster" bodysuit dancer appears in the music video for "Moshi Moshi", playing the guitar solo. This bodysuit dancer previously appeared in Poppy's video "Dancing".